Interviewing someone is a fantastic marketing tool for any Realtor, loan officer, or professional.
Recently, I had an epiphany while running on the treadmill. (No, it wasn’t that my shorts are too short or that I run too slow.)
Instead, it was this: my humble Real Estate Marketing with Norm brand may not be anything special yet (although growing steadily), but I do have access to some incredible and inspiring professionals that people would love to hear about.
So, why not tap into their wisdom, experience, and expertise by setting up a series of interviews?
That’s exactly what I’ve undertaken, as once I was off the treadmill, I furiously sent out emails to some of the most accomplished and coolest real estate pros I know (as well as buying some longer shorts).
Today, I’m super excited to share the marketing benefits of interviews, as well as the nuts and bolts of why they’re so powerful.
The problem with most marketing
Marketing tends to get “I-centric” for lack of a better term. “I can help you buy or sell your home,” “I’m the best professional to do the job,” and “I’m the greatest of all time.”
Go to MY website, call ME, and I can get you a great mortgage loan – it’s all about me, myself, and I.
Sometimes, if Realtors, loan officers, and business owners really “get it,” they elevate their marketing to focus on the client, instead – highlighting the benefits, stories, and help and value they received. That’s a huge shift from “I-centric” to focusing on your audience’s needs, challenges, and wants that will make all the difference.
But there’s a next-level resource for your marketing that’s incredibly simple but also surprisingly powerful and effective: the interview.
No matter if you’re a real estate agent trying to focus on a certain neighborhood, a lender narrowing in on a specific demographic, or any business owner targeting their marketing, an interview will serve you incredibly well.
The marketing benefits of an interview
An interview will also be a promotional coup for you, offering:
2X your audience – and increase your business
Let’s talk about that last one for a moment. One of the chief benefits of creating these is cross-marketing to an exponentially larger audience.
For instance, if you write up a nice piece about your favorite mortgage broker, they will probably super appreciate the effort and share or repost it with their social media followers and audience.
With that, you’re given a warm introduction that includes your name, profession, social media links, email, blog or website, and a boat load of built-in trust and credibility. You may gain exposure among hundreds or even thousands of new people who didn’t know about you before, and benefit from potential new business accordingly.
In fact, I’ve seen one simple interview 2X the size of someone’s audience! Think of the potential if you do a whole monthly series!
Who should you interview?
That’s the fun part, as the possibilities are limitless. Of course, you can interview someone who works with your clients, like a lender for Realtors or vice versa. Or, show some love to a referral partner by highlighting their business.
Here are some examples:
You get the idea!
Not only will most people agree to an interview, they’ll feel appreciated and honored and answer your emails or calls immediately!
Conducting the actual interview
To carry out an interview, it couldn’t be easier – just ask someone if you could spend 15 minutes asking them a few questions. Shoot them a list of perspective questions or topics ahead of time so they can think about it.
Sit face to face or call them on Skype, Facetime, or just over the phone if you’re not in the same area. You can either video the interview or just record the audio using one of the many programs available on your laptop or even your smart phone.
Where to post the interview
Either way, you’ll edit it down and can use it in several places:
Give it an interesting name
You can call it an interview, or some other catchy title like:
10 Fast Facts with _________.
10 Quotes by __________.
5 Questions with ___________.
10 Minutes with __________.
Inside the mind of ________.
Confessions of a _________.
Aim high with the subject of your interview
But it’s also a good idea to aim above your pay-grade on this one, so to speak. What I mean by that is don’t limit yourself to your best friend or someone who is already giving you business. Send out a few emails and requests to interview people who are notable, iconic, and even famous in your local city, region, or nationally.
Why the heck not? You have nothing to lose. Think big.
Profiling someone famous
In a slightly different strategy, you can also write up a profile on someone famous instead of interviewing them, like I did here with real estate couch Mike ferry. It’s not an interview and I never talked to the man, but I put together a profile with a quick Google search that he’d find favorable.
Remember we talked about cross-marketing to an exponentially larger audience?
When profiling someone famous, enjoys name recognition, or anyone who holds a certain amount of gravitas, you really can tap into their massive number of fans and followers just by using the right hashtags or tagging them.
A final word on interviews
With interviews, you’re simply offering useful, interesting, and fun content to your audience and turning the spotlight from yourself to others.
Pretty soon, someone will want to interview you!
Need help setting up an interview for your business? Or, do you have some great insights you’d like to share in one of my real estate marketing interviews? Hit me up!
The name “Ferry” is synonymous with real estate coaching mastery, and today we’re going to illuminate 20 facts about Tom Ferry.
1. Tom Ferry is highly influential in the real estate industry, creating a ripple effect of success through his coaching, training, and speaking. In fact, Swanepoel Power 200 just ranked him as the #1 Real Estate Educator in the world!
2. Born “Thomas Andrew Ferry” to real estate training and marketing giant, Mike Ferry of the Mike Ferry Organization, Tom is now the CEO of his own successful operation, Tom Ferry International.
3. The mission statement of Tom Ferry International is “Holding Professionals Accountable to Fulfill Their Greatness.” Indeed, accountability is at the core of their teaching, as Ferry stresses personal responsibility, perseverance, and “disciplined action” to stand out among the heavy competition in the real estate ranks.
4. If you’ve been in the business for a while and the “Ferry” name sounds familiar, that’s because Mike Ferry, the elder, has been a longtime real estate coach and speaker. His son, Tom, got in the business under his mentorship, eventually taking the reins.
5. In 2005, Tom decided to go out on his own, establishing his own real estate coaching and speaking company, Tom Ferry International, which still operates out of Irvine, Ca.
6. Tom Ferry is actually a best-selling author. In 2010, he released his first book, “Life! By Design,” which hit the New York Times bestseller list in March of that year
7. He followed that up with "Mindset, Model and Marketing!" in 2017, which quickly became an Amazon bestseller.
8. The book complied information from Tom Ferry's popular YouTube series, the #TomFerryShow, into a definitive guidebook for real estate professionals.
9. With experience as a real estate training spanning three decades, Tom Ferry has amassed an incredible 30,000 hours of coaching!
10. Ferry is also an accomplished speaker, highly sought-after for his lifetime of sales insights and no-nonsense motivational style.
11. Part of Tom’s huge success has been the popularity of his YouTube caching series, #TomFerryShow, with its weekly video episodes with tips and other valuable content for Realtors.
12. Ferry is also an avid investor, with capital or involvement in dozens of ventures, including Acorn, Arx Pax, BoomtownROI, Contactually, geographicfarm, HomDna, Local.id, MILLIE, Porch, rentLEVER, ridscout, Aimtell and YouMail.
13. If you want evidence of The Ferry family’s coaching success, check this out: according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median income in 2017 for the top ten percent of residential real estate agents was $151,000. However, for agents who were coached by Mike Ferry (or his organization), the median income that year was $1.1 million!
Of course, that speaks to Mike Ferry’s success, but with that pedigree and a system built on the same foundation, it’s not hard to see why Tom Ferry is now the #1 real estate coach in the world.
14. Tom Ferry is happily married to Kathy Ferry and they have two sons, Steven and Michael.
15. You can learn more about Tom Ferry and the Tom Ferry Organization at TomFerry.com or on his personal Twitter account, @tomferry.
P.S. I have no affiliation at all with Tom Ferry or his organization; just respect for someone on top of their game who can really help Realtors!